Coaches' Meeting 2003-2004
Minutes from May 12, 2004
Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Carol Miller reported that the organization is in about the same or better financial condition than we enjoyed last year. Dues for 2004-2005 will remain at $150 with a December 1, 2004, payment deadline (dues paid after December 1st but before January 1st will be $175; those paid after New Year's Day will be charged $200). It appears that the NSML will not need a dues increase in the next 3 years. This is in part thanks to the sending of contests and various information via e-mail, thus reducing our duplicating and mailing costs to about zero! Our fantastic webmaster Abe Hassan is receiving a $200 bonus in recognition for his superb work for the NSML. John Benson is looking for a question writer to take over this task from the irreplaceable Wally Dodge, whose last year as an NSML question writer will be our 2004-2005 season.
- NSML Statisticians Mike Andrews and Peter Nilsen will keep producing hard copies of our Complete Statistics packages.
- John Benson stated that he has received no complaints about sending contests to host schools via PDF files.
- John asks that host schools immediately e-mail to him confirmation that contest materials sent by John have been received and are reproducible.
- In response to questions, Abe said that contestant names will be "promoted" from year to year until their graduation (with the exception of those who did not actually compete in the past season). He asked that information correcting the misspelling of names be e-mailed to him so that the same student not be listed under more than one name. Abe also said that the names of all top scorers in each contest will be made available.
- Access Data President Levin informed John Benson that his company plans to update the NSML Contests database about every three years, charge $45 for the updates, and said that the company has no problem with NSML publishing a hardcopy compilation of past contests. Aaron Hayes will look into the possibility of publishing a hardcopy version of past contests (CafePress does on-demand printing for about $10 per copy).
- Please send updates to John's NSML e-mail distribution to John.
Schedule and Dates: Rich Muller has developed, and the Board has approved, the dates of contests for the 2004-2005 academic year. Rich Rukin will again be formulating the schedule of schools and asks that coaches (one per school) submit all special requests to him on-line ASAP. Rich must be informed of all "no hosting" dates, and special requests must be specific and list BY NAME all school involved (NOT "all District 3.14159 schools"). Rich also asks that coaches include their names and the names of their schools (full names, NOT AAAAAAAHS) with their special requests.
Topics: Please check the NSML website for both Oral and Written Topics as developed by committees chaired by Isaac Greenspan and Aaron Hayes, respectively.
John is looking for an assistant webmaster. This individual will learn, from Abe, the technical details of our website so that he/she can sub for Abe if needed. A $500 stipend is approved for this position.
The priceless position of NSML Secretary is open (for all else there is Visa --- or is it Mastercard?). The Secretary's job is to take and publish (via Abe) the minutes of each year's Board and Coaches Meetings.
The need to find a new question writer was again discussed. John said that we need someone who is comfortable with applications, tech savvy, knows contests and our League, writes questions that also teach students math, and will not be an NSML coach. The ability to walk on water or to part the Red Sea, however, is not required.
After much spirited discussion, coaches agreed that the NSML will implement an "all electronic devices except for contest-approved calculators must be turned off and out of sight during contests." We will follow the AP rules regarding such devices. The coaches also approved (in a many to 2 vote) the rule that no laptop computers will be allowed in Orals competition.
Wheeling High School will join the NSML, while Whitney Young and Lane Tech are leaving us. Chicagoland Jewish Academy and Willowbrook High School are next on our waiting list.
Dates of 2004-2005 contests:
Meet 1: Thursday, September 23, 2004
Meet 2: Thursday, October 28, 2004
Meet 3: Wednesday, December 1, 2004
Meet 4: Thursday, February 3, 2005
Meet 5: Wednesday, March 9, 2005 (Conference Meet)
Please thank your Board members for the many hours of work they put in to help make the NSML the premier organization that it is. Please also give yourself a pat on the back for all the sacrifices you make to give your math whizzes the opportunity to learn and compete in a subject we all love. Thank you for allowing me to be the NSML Secretary for so many years. It has been a privilege and honor to be associated with our absolutely fantastic and highly respected President John Benson, the Board, and the coaches and teams of the NSML.
Submitted for your approbation, amusement, and edification by George D. Pryjma, Niles North High School and NSML Emeritus